Mike & Nat's new Largo

Say hello to the group here and let us know whereabouts you are.
MikeHP
oil filter
oil filter
Fuel: Diesel
Drivetrain: 2WD
Seats: 7 Seats
Roof: Glass Top
Trim: SX-G
Mods: 17" Rota D2
De-chromed
(by previous owners)

Mike & Nat's new Largo

Post by MikeHP »

Hello All,

I've just bought a 1996 Largo to replace my dear departed Micra which has lost a long battle with rust and mechanical decline. Not sure on the van's spec yet as I haven't had a chance to look around it much. I know 2.0TD, I'm pretty sure 7 seats, Moon Roofs, I think 2WD... but it's ALL BLACK which I like. Most things work, it came with a set of 17" Rota D2s and most of year's MOT - a steal at £900.

One terrible photo for now as the rest we took are all on my other half's phone. She'll be driving it most of the time as she does more motorway miles.
IMAG0677.jpg
I'll be driving... her old Micra!
1471351316608.jpg
More to follow as I start to work on it and take it places - for now, happy vanning! :ugeek:

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MikeHP on 22 Nov 2016, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
mrfish85
Global Moderator
Trim: highway star

Re: Mike & Nat's new Largo

Post by mrfish85 »

Welcome along.
Once you drove the largo you ain't gonna want to go back to a micra (cornbeef tin on wheels). I've drove a few cars for short periods since having my largo and hated every minute feeling so squished in.

Getting at the engine is bit of a pain and sourcing part is a pain in the **** aswell but between all of us on here we can help with 99.9% of things
Life a BITCH!!!
Then you get a LARGO!!!
Subsoil
SUPER CAR
SUPER CAR
Fuel: Petrol/Gas
Trim: sx-g
Mods: Limo Tints, pas/drivers curtains, 6366sx Classic Alpine Door Speakers.

Post by Subsoil »

Hi And Welcome, Enjoy her,...the amount of people that say oowwww arn't the seats comfy i have lost count of :) most info you need will be here happy Largoing..................
What is Mind, NO Matter, What is Matter-- Never Mind!
MikeHP
oil filter
oil filter
De-chromed
(by previous owners)

Post by MikeHP »

Thanks mrfish and Subsoil for the welcome. Sorry I didn't see your posts til now, I'll check my notification settings.

I do enjoy driving the bus at weekends; the seats are comfy, the facility to just chuck anything in the back (rear row usually kept folded up) is great and it certainly commands respect from other drivers - but the Micra is still the more engaging drive, is faster, quieter and more economical too. Speaking of road manners though, I have managed to get the beast going a little bit sideways when coming off roundabouts by giving a carefully timed bootful...

I took the Largo to JAE this year on the Micra club stand (I know, how sad) and slept 3 very comfortable nights in it with my partner. During the days we set the seats up in the L-shape (middle row sideways) and it became the club lounge! It's lurking in the background of a few photos of the Micras on various Instagram accounts if you look carefully. I saw one other Largo there on an unrelated stand but the owner wasn't around to speak to. Are you out there, friend?

Many things to do to get her in good shape - Full service including brakes (spongy) and belts (squeaky), wheel alignment, a serious machine polish and subsequent detailing, refurbish wheels, De-de-chrome (I'll go for the brushed look if I can't salvage the shiny), Air-con re-gas, investigate why the auto box insists on revving so high (could it be something electronic to do with the KPH to MPH conversion?).

TL;DR: Mike loves his Largo but still also likes Micras. The Largo went to JAE, did you?

Mike
mrfish85
Global Moderator
Trim: highway star

Post by mrfish85 »

If you need help with any of the above just shout. As for the box revving so high are you using overdrive. The button on the gear stick has to be in and the light on the dash off
Life a BITCH!!!
Then you get a LARGO!!!
MikeHP
oil filter
oil filter
De-chromed
(by previous owners)

Post by MikeHP »

Thanks, I'm glad this site exists or I'd be pretty screwed.

Yeah OD is turned on, the dash light is not on. The stick button doesn't function - a previous owner has wired the OD switch to a rocker on the dash. Maybe it's just me misunderstanding the quirks of the vehicle but I'd expect an auto box on a diesel engine to hold the engine at quite low revs with moderate accelerator input - to make use of the low-down torque. As it is, even at a gentle cruise with feather-light right foot it will sit above 2000rpm most of the time and when I put my foot down it changes down again and climbs to around 4k (unless I momentarily lift off and re-apply to force an up-shift). The engine's torque peak is at 2000rpm for goodness sake! How does this compare with your experience?